Intro to Roblox Studio
Let’s begin by checking out a sample Obby, short for “obstacle course.” In an Obby, players jump from one place to another while avoiding obstacles to reach the end of a level.
Open the Obby Template
Templates are pre-built Roblox projects that you can use as a start for your own games. There’s an existing Obby template you can test to get an idea of what you’ll be making.
- In Roblox Studio, click the New button in the upper-left.
- Find the Template called Obby and Open it up (Click on the Tile)
Play the Obby
To test the Obby template, simply press the Play button.
In game, use these controls:
W A S D - Move your Character Around
Space Bar - Jump
Hold Right Mouse Button and Move - Look Around
To stop playing, press the Stop button.
Publishing a Project
It’s good practice to publish your game to Roblox every 10 - 15 minutes. In addition to saving your work to a secure place, publishing allows other players on Roblox to play your game.
- Select File → Publish to Roblox.
- Click New Place.
- Enter a name and description.
- Click Create Place.
- When the bar is full and you see “100% Completed,” click the blue Next button.
- On the next screen, you’ll see information about extra features. You can skip those steps for now — just click the Done button.
Congratulations, you’ve created your first Roblox game! Where next? Add more color, start coding, or build rotating platforms by exploring more tutorials.